Day 66

Fired Up.

Dammit, still feeling rough this morning. I hoped the sickness would be gone by now. But I’m okay, and the sun is shining strong already coming into the bedroom and bathroom. This is a lovely place to wake up…

I’m looking carefully into the mirror, to see if there’s any sign of my hair falling out. It’s supposed to be happening about now, halfway through the second session. But there’s no sign of hair loss on any part of my body. And I wonder how it does it anyway, does it all fall out in clumps or hair by hair? Who to ask such a question?

The plan this morning is to move the painted doors and panels for the bus back up to the barn. Alison is coming to help with this with her van. But first I have to get to the panels, they’re hidden behind piles of paint pots and tools and stuff in the front studio. So I set about tidying up and sorting out without enthusiasm, feeling pretty crap.

But Alison comes with a van, and everything goes fine. And I’ve loaded up the Vitesse with rubble bags and rubbish to the tip so we do that too, and deal with a flat tyre at the waste recycling place. Three or four people helpfully point out that I’ve got a flat though only one offers to help, but he is quite old and looks frail and I decide to jack the vehicle up myself calculating that perhaps I’m in better shape to do so. Nice of him though. In fact I struggle with this task; this sort of intense effort I find really difficult, it makes me feel sweaty and dizzy. I’m okay doing things that don’t require full exertion but my exhaustion levels and breathlessness come in so quickly.

Back at the barn, I drive the bus out into the sunshine for the first time in months and park it on the level area outside. The plan is to fire up the wood burner with its new flue installation to see how it goes, and cook some lunch on it same time. The stove is working well, the new baffle super heating the hotplate and it’s lovely to be in the bus with no doors and windows, great views over the countryside and a gentle breeze and smell of woodsmoke…

With all the paint work done, I take down the tarpaulin tent I’ve made in the barn and clear the decks, ready to start fitting up the doors and panels. It feels spacious, light and bright and I love it up here. Thank you Joff and Noelle for making it possible!

By the evening, I’m feeling pretty good. The aches and nausea have gone and I cook a big supper of fresh mackerel and pilchard, cooked cold beetroot with flax oil dressing, brown rice and grated carrot and seed salad. My taste has returned too.

Hey, maybe that’s it, maybe I’m out of the chemical low…day 8 after treatment. So that would be three good days straight after, propped up on steroids; five bad days with the chemo crunch, and then if I’m right five more good days before the next shot… That’s not too bad.