Day 90

Yo Ho!

Well today nothing really works out as planned.  I get up to the barn determined to tackle refitting the bus windows with their rubber seals and make a start but nothing goes right.  The task seems impossible and although I’ve done this job before I can’t remember how I did it or what tricks I used.  My hands and arms ache and feel weak, tools slip, there’s a danger I’ll injure myself or the bodywork or break a valuable piece of glass.

This is no good.  So I stop and take stock.  There’s no way I’m going to get all 14 panes of glass back in without mishap.  It’s a head in hands moment.  Chemohead.  But the solution is simple and just waiting for my call.  I ring Ian of Southwest Autoglass and book him in for next week.  Just spend the money.

I’m not in good condition today.  The chemo ache is strong and I feel pretty sick.  But doing something is better than not, so I potter about in the barn tidying up and enjoying the warm air and bright sun outside.  What weather!  I clean up the bus interior and fix a couple of little niggling easy wins.  I tidy the workbench and sort out the accumulated heap of nuts and bolts – nice mindless work!

Richard B calls to say he and Lisa are about to sail…do I fancy it?  Well yes of course I do.  So I head back to Pz.  What a beautiful afternoon, and a good breeze coming up.  I dig out one of the second-hand reduced-size jibs and trundle my gear down to the harbour.  I put a reef in the mainsail before departure, and decide to use the outboard to get beyond the harbour mouth rather than oars as there’s quite a wind and a chop 0ut there, and I don’t feel alert enough to sail off a buoy in the harbour today.

It’s a good decision.  There are quite a few visiting yachts moored outside so I have to choose a spot where I can cut the motor and raise the sails while drifting downwind and avoid any anchored craft. It all goes well but then the boom jams and I can’t raise the mainsail properly.  We’re moving downwind quite fast and are clear of other boats but I’m not happy and try twice to rectify the problem – the gooseneck is jammed but even if it freed up I’m not sure the mainsail will shape up nicely.   Did I rig that reef right?  This is all old worn-out gear and there are times when the interesting challenge of making do just won’t do.

Well, decision time.  I drop the sails and fire up the outboard and limp back into the harbour where I pick up a empty buoy on the front rank and take stock.  I reset the reef – that’s better but I’m out of practice.  Then I have to move to another buoy as Duncan and his large catermeran has returned and I’m on his berth.  All smiles, no rush.

After trial hoisting the mainsail I cast off again and head back out. This time all is fine and I sail clear of the anchored yachts, heave to and remove and stow the outboard, then head across the bay towards Cudden Point where R and L might be sailing.  We pass each other – yo ho!

It’s beautiful out here and certainly force 4 maybe even gusting 5.  Spray flying and I get a thorough salt soaking and that feels good.  The sails are pretty well balanced and Marin-Marie feels lively and happy in the water, and so do I.

Well, back home eventually and hungry and very very tired.  But happy.  I cook up the mackerel Si gave me yesterday with some broad beans from the garden.  Smells delicious but I can’t really taste it, dammit.  Then conk out and sleep.