Day 294

Marks, Get Set.

So the steroids and nausea have mostly worn off and I’m feeling Ok.  My taste is clobbered but I’m used to that now.  Handling the diet is pretty easy for me this time as I know what’s coming and how to get round it.  The only addition is that I’m drinking a teaspoon of good quality bicarbonate of soda in a half pint of warm water last thing at night and first in the morning.  There are non-credible claims for bicarb out there or course – in large doses combined with fresh lemon juice a miracle cancer cure for example – but for me it’s local alkalising effect helps with the stomach ache from the chemicals and helps me sleep, and in the morning stops me eating straight away, and allows me to EXERCISE for an hour before breakfast (40 minutes Pilates and 20 mins skip rope practice – 64 hops before tripping this morning!)

And that’s the big change for me this time.  I’m enjoying my home workouts – I believe it will really help and after a couple of weeks I’m both feeling stronger and more determined.  It’s certainly helping move the toxins through my sytem, and my balance is coming back as the feeling returns in my feet so that I can walk up and down stairs without the bannister.  The nerve damage, neuropathy, was quite debilitating, but I bet if I’d exercised through the last chemo session it would have been less of a problem.  What I have been getting though is fluid swelling in my feet, maybe from the drugs but also from the cancer in my lymph system.


Again I think the exercise will help, and I’ve found a way of using the blue rubber resistant band tied to the bed head so while lying on my back reading I can elevate a foot up at 70 degrees leg straight and let it hang there – a nice hamstring stretch and good for draining fluids perhaps…  I’m thinking there might be a lot of good stretch exercises to do from a bed with these resistant bands and I’ll look into it for my month in hospital in March/April.

What else?  I’m looking into diet for the fragile weeks in hospital following the Stem Cell Transplant where certain foodstuffs are out because they carry bugs or whatever, and then thinking beyond that to the months afterwards.  The hospital divides the following year down into 100 days – the first 100 when you’re in danger of what is called Acute Graft Verses Host Disease and then the next 10 days when it becomes Chronic GVHD.  The next 100 days pretty much takes you to the end of the year by which time one might begin to feel normal?

I think what I ‘m understanding is that you also to be ready for things going wrong.  And things can go wrong quickly, where weeks count.  It’s not that I’m anticipating that and feeling gloomy, but if for instance, like has just happened to me, the cancer comes back after the transplant procedure, what then?  There are no more drugs for me, no more chemo.  I’m on my own then with paliative care and on the way down as far as hospital treatment goes.  There are however strict and highly disciplined dietary regimes which may have helped people combat cancer, though there are no clinical trials to support this.

The Gerson Therapy is well known and extreme – see details here

and whilst it has its international supporters it also has its serious critics of course – see here

I’m also looking at a UK based update of that regime, Plaskett Therapy – see here

I’ll be finding out more over the coming months…

What else?  I’m doing a bit of gentle building work, still reglazing the kitchen windows on the house.  My buyer has been in touch and is happy with his surveyor’s report, so tomorrow the solicitors start talking and hopefully the process will run without hitch.  That’s going to help me too.